Wednesday, October 3, 2012

BUDGET: What to spent and what to scrimp on






 


All of us who are on a budget (and I can't imagine anyone who isn't... a big budget is still a budget), have to prioritise our needs when it comes to spending money. Here follow my two lists of things I spend on and things I scrimp on. 


 


 


What to spend on


  •  Perfume. For me cheap perfume almost always does smell cheap. There is one exception to this rule, but because it is a Greek product that's so tricky to find, I won't bore you with the details. So stick with quality.

  • Cleanser. This is the biggest investment you can do for your skin. Good cleansers aren't necessarily expensive but my point is 'use what works for you, without worrying about the cost'.  

  • Skincare. See, cleanser is my main focus but then if your budget can stretch for a good eye-cream, a toner and a moisturiser, even better. If not, try affordable alternatives and save money to spend on...

  • Treatment-products. When you need to focus on battling one specific problem such as acne, rosacea, premature ageing or dark circles, you almost always have to invest in some serious products. In this category I would include a good glycolic acid, a very intensive face mask, retinols etc. They do tend to cost.

  • Makeup base. Now many of the budget-brands came up with loads of good options when it comes to foundations and concealers. Bourjois does excellent foundations, while collection 2000 and e.l.f. do good concealers. But still if your budget can take another hit, do look into some higher end products. Make sure you get a very good quality concealer; they are easy to work with and they make all the difference. 

     




 


What to scrimp on




  • Clay masks. Oh yes, some are better than others but essentially they all do the same thing. My mum buys her clay loose and makes her own and I have used every clay mask under the sun. They all work.

  • Mascara. So many good options here. Maybelline, L' Oreal, Max Factor, No 7, Collection 2000, Prestige. If Lisa Eldridge uses them on shoots, they are good enough for me.

  • Lip gloss. Revlon has a lovely, affordable range of glosses and so does Barry M. Lip gloss must be cheap if you ask me. The cheaper, the better!

  • Nail Varnish. It always chips whether you pay £1 or £20. The well known brands tend to come up with some great collections and amazing colours but if you really try you will find something similar for less in Superdrug.

  • Conditioner. I tend to buy whatever is on offer. To me, there is absolutely no difference between cheaper and expensive conditioners.

  • Body lotion. As long as it doesn't contain parabens body lotion should be cheap. Kings and Queens is my go-to, coconut oil works pretty good too.

  • Body wash. They all just clean your body and that's it. Currently I'm using Sainsbury's own.

  • Scrub. If you do use scrub (the one with the little beads) you can go really really cheap. St. Ives and Organic surge do some similar products.





No comments:

Post a Comment