Tuesday, August 28, 2012

An Introduction



I've been posting on my business blog for several months now, and it occurred to me that I've never fully given an introduction of myself. So I decided this week I'd give you a short introduction and share with you why business organization and systems are my passion.



I know that, at first thought, business systems does not sound like such an exciting concept.  But I assure you there is nothing that really makes me happier than working with a small business owner to set up and develop their back office support systems. When a business owner is excited to realize that the items they have struggled with have now just become the part of their business that they can do with simplicity and efficiency, I know I've shared my passion and created a better business for them. This is what gives me a feeling of accomplishment.



I came into this world of business organizing almost by accident. When we moved from California to Tennessee a few years ago, I was asked by a friend of mine to help him establish an Operations Department for his small business and to develop and maintain systems to help operate his business. At the time, his business was doing about $1 million per year in gross sales, but they were at a growth point. They had more business coming in but no methods to process this new business quickly, efficiently or accurately. That's where I came in. I took each part of the business, broke it down to the most simplest steps and then developed processes and procedures that others could repeat and therefore keep the business running smoothly. I'm proud to say that we brought the business up to $3 million per year in just three years time and increased profitability.



This past year, my dear friend and client tragically and unexpectedly passed away, and his business shut down.  And, as a result, the contract I had with his business closed out - which meant I had also lost a big chunk of my income. It was not an easy time and still chokes me up to think about the loss of such a great friend. However, I knew I had to grow my business income -- and get to it quickly because my kids are both college age.  No time to "dilly dally" as bills for tuition payments were coming soon.



Having helped my friend with his business, I just knew that there had to be a need for other small business owners when it came to business systems.  So that's what I decided to do, to get back at it and build my business by helping other small business owners grow their business.   Effective systems that are easy to use, easy to manage and easy to generate meaningful business numbers from are invaluable to just about every small- to medium-sized business. 



Already having worked as a business consultant and "growth agent," I decided on a business name that would suggest to others what I do - help other businesses run a Tight Ship. Then I began setting goals, writing business plans and networking my businesses. My attitude has been one of "get up and get going" since I started.



I'm happy and grateful that my business is growing, and each and every day I'm meeting others that can use my help and expertise. I get up every Monday morning eager to begin a new week and to see what the week will bring. So far it's been an exciting ride and those that I've helped grow and expand their business have helped me fully comprehend that I'm in doing exactly what I should be doing - following my journey of sharing my passion of business systems with small business owners.



I'm truly blessed to have found my passion.  





Find more information about us at our web siteLinkedInFacebook, or Twitter.







No comments:

Post a Comment