Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Making Networking Work!




So you are out there being an amazing networker for your business. You are meeting people, getting business cards and "making connections." Are you really "making connections" or are you just collecting cards? Networking is an skill and it's also a very different animal from the networking of the past. Networking today is a VERY useful marketing tool for your business and one of the huge aspects of today's networking is that it doesn't have to be an expensive endeavor like so many other forms of marketing. So what do you do if you are not getting the referrals you'd like from the networking that you are doing?





First of all, I truly believe it's not the number or cards you collect at an event that gets you business. I believe it's the quality of the contacts you make. Instead of running around an event trying to meet as many people as you can and collecting as many cards as you can, try to connect with two or three people that could possibly be a great referral source for you. Then make a connection by establishing a rapport between the two of you. When mingling at networking events, I always try to talk about what the other person does first and ask them a variety of questions about their business. I also think if you can find a way to connect on a personal level your connection will be more valuable. Many people that I network with have become fast friends. I know by establishing this friendship and tending to it, I'm also keeping my business and my skills in the forefront of their mind. This is important because we cannot attend every single networking event right? By having a few other awesome networkers that know you well and are out there marketing your business, you also have a little leverage at events you can't be at because that "cheerleader" you've made is going to mention you if in conversation someone casually says that they could use some help or support in your area of specialty! Isn't that fantastic?





Here are a few ideas/tips to keep a handle on the business cards you pick up.


  1. I keep a binder with business card protective sheets and extra cards of those I'm connected with, know well, and am happy to promote when I'm at other networking events in my briefcase at all times. That way if someone mentions they need a dog sitter I've got a card of a good dog sitter to hand them.

  2. When I leave an event, you'll see me sit in my car for a few minutes before pulling away. I'm making notes on the back of mu cards with the date, event and something to connect with that person about again. Maybe they mentioned they have a new grand baby on the way? Make a note of it!

  3. From each event (usually within a day or so), I'll pick one or two promising connections that I'd like to get to know better and send an email or make a quick call to invite them for a quick cup of coffee. For added connection I usually mention the personal connection note I made on the back of their card.

  4. Once we've had coffee and I believe that this person is someone I could do business with, send business to or who may send business to me, I put their card in my card reading application that then pushes their info to my contact manager.

  5. Other cards? I keep a rolodex and put other cards handed to me filed by industry. That way if I'm looking for someone in the painting field I can look under "P" and find one. I keep these cards for about 2 years and then go through them and purge. For me this is a good way to keep cards of people that I might end up at another networking event with, and just in case they refer someone to me I can easily find their information.



So keep that networking organized by making true connections, managing those cards and having follow up 1 on 1 meetings. Organized networking IS empowering and beneficial to your business.





Find more information about us at our web siteLinkedInFacebook, or Twitter.







No comments:

Post a Comment