Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Tupac's Legacy and Yours




“I set goals, take control, drink out my own bottle. I make mistakes but learn from every one and when it’s said and done, I bet this brother be a better one. If I upset you, don’t stress. Never forget, that God isn’t finished with me yet."
— Tupac Shakur

Yesterday marked the 15th year anniversary of Tupac Shakur. By no means am I saying he was a hero of mine but I don't think he was the worst guy that every walked the earth. But when I think of Tupac and listen to his songs, it does show me something. He has a legacy. He had a massive amount of followers wherever he went, they bought his tapes, they bought his cd's, they watched his videos, and they wore his shirts. Fifteen years after his death, his face isn't on everything but if you talk to any Rap purist, his name always comes up.


This makes me think about legacies. What are we doing today with our kids that will become part of our legacy? I can still remember asking my grandaddy to go fishing with me on a cold November morning in NC when I was a preteen. It was misting rain, dreary, and just an all around bad day (the fact he wasn't in his tractor proves that it was really disgusting outside!). I remember grabbing my pole and asking him to walk with me to his pond. He stopped what he was doing and said, yes. I caught NOTHING but maybe a cold! Meanwhile grandaddy was smiling the whole time and built a little fire beside us. His love and compassion towards me is part of legacy, and now I'm hoping that I am building the same legacy with my son(and hopefully my grandkids far down the line!). The fact that the news reminded us that Tupac was shot and killed 15yrs ago yesterday, proves he left a legacy. Some will say it's good while others would say it's bad. Even though I'm not going to download his music from iTunes for Josiah, I'm not going to judge. Instead I'm thinking about some of his choices that he made both good and bad. I'm also thinking about some of the choices I make as a dad, husband, and children's pastor. What will my son say about me 15yrs from now? What will my wife say about me? What will my mentors say about me? What will my leaders that serve every week say about me? What will the teens/college students say about their children's ministry experience under my leadership? What will my assistant and fellow pastors say about me? What will people say about your legacy...15yrs down the road?

No comments:

Post a Comment