Monday, September 12, 2011

To augment or not augment.....?


Recently I've managed to put a decent amount of time (actually a lot of time) into Deus Ex: Human Revolution and one of the most paramount aspects of this title almost begs you to take a look in the mirror and ask yourself whether or not you would sacrifice your humanity in order to be augmented.  Now when i say augmented if mean being able to shoot explosives out of your arms or even punch through walls like the Hulk.  Bet you changed your answer from a couple second ago.  Adam Jensen, Our protagonist is the man who wields this crazy amount of power.


So this paradigm vividly reminded me of a gameplay device I used years ago in a DnD campaign.  The basic idea then was that people were getting these psionic gem implants placed in and implanted into their bodies to enhance what they can do like Adam.  In essence I had already used a system that is being used now but modified to fit the futuristic and cyberpunk themes.  I felt empowered that I had done this and went to my various notebooks and ideas jotted down on post-its and index cards (what can i say I'm low tech) to see what other ideas could have new life breathed into them from a twist and some fresh perspective.  I did come across a couple of ideas that made me really think and then i wondered what to do with them.  I updated some thoughts in a new and hopefully organized notebook of inspired ideas and left it at that.


Today I come across this this that semi renews hope and is semi serendipitous at the same time.  It really seems that I just need to take my ideas and start by applying them to what I know and love - Gaming.


The plan is now with my ideas in tow and the knowledge I have is to put them together like peanut butter and jelly. 







Before that happens I think I'll finish Deus Ex first......

No comments:

Post a Comment