Thursday, September 15, 2011

Buzz Lightyear and Volunteering




Buzz Lightyear. Dressing up as Buzz Lightyear would be nothing for you and me, but to a child, it’s pure excitement! We are talking WOW excitement! When they see the costume they immediately get either locked into laughter or the younger ones will believe you are the actual Buzz. Both makes you a winner as a volunteer!

Now when people think of volunteering people tend to get nervous and concerned. Questions come to mind such as:

·      Am I qualified?
·      Will the kids like me?
·      What do I have to do?
·      They can’t relate to me…can they?
·      Does the team really need my help?
·      Seriously, can I make a difference?

At least, those are questions that I have heard from some of our leaders/prospective leaders. We tend to get so insecure and clam up when it comes to preaching the Gospel…especially with kids who ask a million questions. Well, I’ve got some GREAT news for you!

You are qualified. A simple smile and a high five goes a long way. Even putting on a Buzz Lightyear costume and being silly…goes a long way. Maybe kids aren’t your thing, that’s ok because every kid that comes in to children’s ministry has parents! The Launching Pad needs adults who can talk to adults! I’m sure we aren’t alone in that need.

So regardless if it’s holding doors, helping to lead worship, dressing in a costume, or simply saying, “Glad you are here”…we need you. The church needs you. The kids need you.  You can make an impact with this generation. So what’s holding you back?

No comments:

Post a Comment