Friday, May 6, 2011

Will Smith, Beastie Boys, and Parenting


Why is it so hard to say "yes ma'em" and "yes sir" as a kid? We are entering the stage with our son that he is questioning everything. He doesn't question it verbally but he certainly lets me know by his actions and throwing his arms down, that he doesn't want to obey! The effective TIME OUT words are not quite as powerful as they once were. It used to be, just the mention of the words "time out" sent a huge behavioral shift and a reneweled since of I'm sorry. Nope. Notta. Not anymore! This is causing daddy to rethink discipline and to acknowledge the fact my boy isn't perfect.


My son, keep your father’s commandment, and forsake not your mother’s teaching.
(Proverbs 6:20 ESV)
This is a powerful verse because it gets to the core heart of it. It's wise to listen to what our parents tell us because they have the authority in our life to do so. They also have more milage! Of course when I was a kid, that was so dumb. Will Smith had the song, "Parents Just Don't Understand" and the Beastie Boys huge hit, "Fight for Your Right". Those were my two anthem songs in middle school, because my parents never understood and never let me party! LOL, now that I'm 32 I see things differently. I'm that parent now. Oh, how the tide changes! 
As parents, what are we teaching our kids? All the dad's reading this blog...what are your house commandments? All the mom's reading this blog...what are you teaching your kids? Are we showing them Jesus in our homes? Are we teaching them values that will not only help them but mold them into outstanding leaders and teachers themselves? 

No comments:

Post a Comment