Saturday, September 5, 2009

The Cartoonist Enigma

Since I have been told that I should stop posting about past events like I’m living in the past, I’ve decided to go with something random this time. I’ve always been intrigued by this topic. So I did a little research and here goes….
Who do you think are the most fascinatingly brilliant people on this planet? Scientists? Nah…they’re just plain boring!...Politicians? Yeah right!!...The Sports Illustrated models? Well they may not be the brightest, but damn are they fascinating!!
This may come as a surprise, but according to me, CARTOONISTS are the most brilliant people ever….and I have evidence to back my claim!! Let’s take a look at a few examples, shall we?


Example#1: The laptop ahead of its time!

Take a look at the picture to the left. Notice the character working on something that quite distinctly resembles a laptop. Now read the following lines carefully. This particular Flash Gordon comic strip represents a Serbian translation of an episode drawn way back in 1937!!That’s right! The time when even personal computers had not been invented! Computer science historians aver that the first computer was developed around World War II.


Example#2: The Dilbert Future…for real??


Scott Adams came out with The Dilbert Future in 1997 with a satirical look at the future of mankind. In one of the chapters, Adams jokes about software that would move all the Junk Mail to the Trash without anyone needed to open the mail. This sounds eerily like a Spam Filter to me! And 1997 was well before Spam Filters came into existence! Adams should have probably patented his idea. He’d probably be raking in more millions than he’s raking in right now, which is quite a lot in itself I would assume!


Example#3: Subliminal Messages in Cartoons!

I’m sure most of you know about the subliminal messages in cartoons, especially in the Disney ones. If you don’t know what I’m talking about, you have to check this YouTube link out! You’ll be shocked…I assure you!
Now I don’t know the reason for the subliminal messages. Maybe Walt Disney was a pedophile as many people have suggested. Maybe he was just a sicko who wanted to have some fun. But the fact of the matter is…The way in which the messages have been embedded into the cartoons is quite brilliant! And this is done by several cartoonists. I’ve just taken Disney as an example.

So that’s that. If you can think of anyone with more brilliance than these guys (apart from me of course), let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment