Monday, December 31, 2007

To Make A Resolution?

An update from OurUltimateDate.com

It’s that time of year, isn’t it? That time when you look back over where you’ve been and where you want to go, add it all up... And make resolutions, or not. So I’m going to time-warp back to this exact time last year: end 2006/start 2007:

I was five months into my experiment called AreYouMyWife. I had been on about 30 dates all over the world, had left my job, and I was living in my own self-started story: impulsive, imaginative, open horizons, tethered no where. From the outside it appeared that I was on a carefree road trip, but at some point on any road trip the fuel does run out. And I was on a plane.

Yep, I wasn’t with friends or family (or on a date) raising a champagne flute, I was somewhere over the Atlantic ocean as 2006 transitioned into 2007. And that was because it was the only time I could get on a standby flight back to London where I still had my material possessions and paid rent, but no job. My fuel tank was on “E”.

At this time last year I had almost ended AreYouMyWife as I considered four major life changing choices – two stable, two unstable. I made my choice, and almost felt foolish. But in the end, I met CeCe… and then promptly left for Australia.

So here we are: 2008. I’m in London, having gone a full circuit around the world to end up back where I started. I’ve just had my first Xmas with CeCe and her family. I now share an apartment with her, and bills, and I have a full time job, and we’re giving ourselves time to see how we go.

What a year it’s been: one of the most successful of my life to date, but also one of the most unpredictable and draining. So in looking back, I have to ask myself: do I have any regrets?

For now, I certainly don’t, especially after taking a step towards one of our OUDBOD dreams by bringing out The AreYouMyWife Story… Bite Size.

But I may well have regrets this time next year, if I’m not careful. The thing on my mind going forward is marriage… but not between CeCe and I just yet… We still have a long way to go on that front.

I’m hoping to marry the impulsive, imaginative story I once lived with the stable reality I’m currently living. I want to balance the creative with the routine, the road-trip with being stationary. That is a big hint as to what is behind the Door on Are-You-My.com.

As for new year’s resolutions, I don’t believe in those. You either do, or you don’t. You either talk about something, or you act on it.

This time next year I’ll be reflecting once again. And I wonder how it will all look in the rear-view mirror: a regret? Or a triumph? I guess we’ll see.

Happy new year everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment