Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Worms and stuff

An update from OurUltimateDate.com

It’s been raining and damp and cold the past few days, and there is nothing more sickening then the smell of fermenting dead worms on the street. I tried something men really shouldn’t: multi-task. I was typing out a text message to CeCe while walking, when peripherally I clocked the rotting carcass of a huge worm on the sidewalk, and my foot was on course to land on it. In jumping to avoid stepping on it, I stubbed my toe on someone’s brick wall.

The pain was intense. I saw red. I tried to type out how I felt in the text message, but because predictive text was on, I could only cycle through word options as I hopped madly about - eventually landing on the closest permutation: Duck.


It’s been one of “those” weeks. My trusty laptop comes out of the hospital tomorrow, so that is good news. Still no solid job yet, and I still don’t like the process of waiting on other people (i.e. sales-reactive recruitment agents) selling me instead of me selling me. I half dabbled with the idea a few posts ago of launching an AreYouMyJOB blog to do exactly what AreYouMyWife did: cut out the walls and masks.


But the last thing I need to do right now is wing off on another zany and unfunded adventure. Not just yet. There is two of us to think about now, and the idea is to get steady, so I’ll have to play the recruitment game… for now … and maybe improve it later. And on that note…


Someone asked me a question in an email: If I had been on an internet dating site before launching AreYouMyWife, would I have met CeCe? The honest answer, I think, is no.


Long ago I didn’t think I had an affinity with blond, blue-eyed and tall girls such as CeCe. I have all those traits myself, so part of me figured I would end up with someone opposite: perhaps petite, darker features, etc. Opposites attract, right?


But let’s get hypothetical for a second. Say I never started AYMW and instead CeCe and I happened to sign onto an internet dating site at the same time. Firstly, we would have had to tick a lot of boxes about ourselves: height, hair colour, religion, politics, etc. etc. etc. not to mention write a “blurb” (or better said “product placement text”) about ourselves, and put our digital photos up.


That, pretty much, is how most internet dating sites are structured. The way people meet is either by having “love software” run statistical analysis and suggest other users to you, or you simply browse, or do a refined search where you tick what you are looking for in a partner.


I met CeCe because I dropped all labels and pre-text and we had experiences together and discovered each other as whole people, as opposed to binary packets that our minds might pre-label.

I’ve received a number of emails asking what my ideas for Dream#03 are, most of them opening with “I’m tired of internet dating sites, you gotta help me based on what you did.”


I get my laptop back tomorrow. We’ll start with that, provided I don’t slip on a worm.


No comments:

Post a Comment