Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Diddy's "Coming Home" & Ministry


You read that right! A children's pastor is using Diddy as an example in his blog! There is a single that dropped a little while ago titled, "Coming Home", and I listen to it constantly. Let me first say that I don't believe that everything he writes is responsible, good, wholesome, etc. What I am saying is, this song has a powerful message. There is a part of the 1st verse that really hits home (pun intended!).

its easy to be Puff, its harder to be Sean
what if the twins ask why I aint marry their mom
how do I respond?
what if my son stares with a face like my own
and says he wants to be like me when he's grown
But I aint finished growing

This particular part makes me cringe every time I hear it. When he raps, "its easy to be Puff, its harder to be Sean" that makes total sense. Puff/Diddy/P.Diddy are his stage names, but his real name is Sean. It's easy to be MR. Robbie in front of the kids while being on our stage in the children's ministry. I get to be loud, Bible answering, funny, and a total goofball. If the kids smile or they have that "ah-ha" moment in their eyes…I'm set, ready to show them Jesus in a way they've never seen Him before (or at least attempt). But it's when I'm off the stage and I have to deal with behind-the-scenes, red-tape drama that life brings to anybody that serves…that's where Robbie Bridges comes into play. It's easy to be something or someone larger than life, and harder to be you living in the real world. How many all-star athletes have risen to stardom only to fall short off the court, field, or arena.

The second part of this verse shows Puff dealing with the idea that his twins are going to know Sean. They will know his ups and downs, choices that he made, and they will have to live with the legacy he started (good or bad). That's something we all need to think about with our kids. The decisions we make now will impact them possibly now and/or in the future. Will our kid(s) want to be like us or will they want to be the opposite of us?  Granted none of us are perfect, if you are the please fill me and everybody else in!

May we never finish growing!

No comments:

Post a Comment