Saturday, November 5, 2011

Underrated Montage of the Week #6 - Bliss 2

Gameplay by: Rhis
Edited by: Marruk
Date of Original Release: 12/29/2010
Current View Count: 11,899

Ever since Marruk started doing stuff for TheFuntageCrew, I knew that the guy had a lot of talent and a great eye for editing. His syncing is fantastic, and when it comes to creating flow, he's the man. As soon as I saw that this montage was edited by Marruk, I knew I was in for a treat and it certainly didn't disappoint.

Gameplay: As awesome as Halo 2 was, one thing I didn't really like about it was the 1v1 montage genre. You might be thinking, "But Gear, you have a good amount of Halo 2 1v1 videos on your channel, you massive hypocrite". Yes I do, and that's because I do like some Halo 2 1v1 montages. However, what irked me about Halo 2 1v1 footage is that a lot of it looked as if it was practically staged. Obviously people weren't in Halo 2 customs all day just saying, "Hey, you go right there while I throw this sticky at some obscene angle and then shoot a barrel to propel it to you", but in a lot of Halo 2 1v1 footage, people are barely trying to kill each other, just going for nade launches and other montage kid stuff for the entire game while their opponent was doing the exact same thing. I've lost track of how many times I've seen someone get a nade launch on someone who was barely moving because he was trying a nade launch of his own. Complaining aside, I didn't feel like this was the case for any of the clips. Not only are the plays good on their own, in most of the places, Rhis seems to be under legitimate pressure, and his shields are almost completely down for a good amount of the snipes. I also really like Rhis' twitchy style of sniping because of its uniqueness, and I was really glad that there were many showcases of this in the montage. And, as far as 1v1 montages go, the gameplay was fairly diverse, showcasing your different flavors of snipes (no scopes, BXZ's, etc) and sticks (nade launch, barrel launch, straight up). The in-game audio from Rhis was also a great supplement to the game footage and was especially great to hear because the in-game audio trend pretty much died after Halo 3 came around.

Editing: Like I said before, I love Marruk's editing. The syncing and flow were unreal, and never once did I feel that the gameplay was weakened. The intro was a simple but nicely chosen angle (and again, keep in mind that this is Halo 2), and I thought the 3D text coming out of pillar was great as well. The stick from the intro leading into the stick from Rhis' opponent's POV was also really awesome. The effects are all very simple (rewind, cuts, crossfades, replays), but there was also a bit of innovation in the mix like the circles used to highlight the focal point of certain clips while syncing to the music, which is almost unheard of with simple editing. Another thing that I really liked about the editing is the touch of humor that Marruk added here and there like the "h2 is cool" text screen at the end and the "fade-ins are overrated" bit in the beginning, reminiscent of his work for TheFuntageCrew's community funtages. As for clip placement, I didn't have a problem with it. The clip leading into the intro is great, the first real clip of the body was sick, and so was the clip used for the finale. The gameplay was all on roughly the same level more or less, so I guess that this was hard to mess up to begin with. Lastly, I liked every song in the soundtrack, especially the body song. Like I said, instrumental music is awesome.

Flaws:
- Montage ends really abruptly. The last song should have faded out in my opinion, but I guess this awkwardness does represent Marruk's style.

Similar to Rush, this montage was severely hurt by the fact that it's a Halo 2 video released long after the Halo 2 era came to an end. I'm incredibly glad that this hit 10,000 views, but as a Halo 2 fan who really liked every aspect of this montage, especially the soundtrack and editing, I'm still sad that this video hasn't gone places.

No comments:

Post a Comment