Friday, March 25, 2011

Capture Your Vision!


When an individual captures his vision, his leadership function begins to stir. Leadership is impossible without a vision because leadership exists to fulfill a vision. Without a vision, leadership is invalid and unnecessary. Vision validates leadership; it explains the existence of leadership. - Becoming a Leader by Dr. Myles Monroe

So what is your vision for today, tomorrow, next week, the next 6 months, next year, and the next decade? In order to be a leader at home, at church, and at work…you must have a vision!

I know as a former youth pastor and now a children's pastor…I thrive on vision. I see a room and my mind automatically transforms it into a theme. I picture chairs full of people. I see art on the walls. There is a snack bar, arcade, DJ spinning the latest remixes, and mascots roaming the room high fiving all the kids! I also picture the testimonies of my leaders leading hundreds of kids to Christ. I see parents rebuilding relationships with their spouses. I see multiple services. I can picture having to talk to the senior pastor about needing more rooms and bigger budgets. There will be tons of volunteers actually leading the services with me, championing them on. There will be a children/teen athletic center that will host sporting events and family activities (think YMCA, but bigger!). There are camps year around.  My team and I will host children ministry conferences to inspire, inform, and minister to other leaders. That's my vision for ministry.

I see a healed young man baffling his doctors because God healed him of his terrible disease. Josiah will be preaching about what God did, and thousands will hear of his testimony and turn to Jesus for their spiritual and physical healing.  I picture my wife being the head of her department mentoring assistants and students that want to go into teaching and directing. Annie will also be leading a drama team that travels across the country during the summer for major conferences. I see Josiah's medical bills paid in full. I see college tuition paid in full. A new house with a back porch and a good size kitchen will be our home…paid! And yes, ECU will have a 13-0 football season!

How's that for a vision? Parents what is your vision for your family, your ministry, and yourself. What do you want to see happen in your lifetime?  After you dream, ask God where He fits in. Then ask God to take that dream and make it happen... or to trash it…only because you might not have dreamt big enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment