Thursday, May 27, 2010

The Era of Mediocrity


It’s been a while since I’ve posted anything on my blog. The reason for that, I think, is the lack of any good topics to ponder upon in the past few months. Everyone all around the world seems to be heralding mediocrity and this seems to be hindering the chances of anything really amazing happening! Don’t know what I’m talking about? Read on!
In an age where we are seeing technical and logical revelations happening at such an incredible pace, it is sad to say that no one is trying to raise the bar. People in all walks of life, me included, seem to have gotten comfortable with their mediocre mode of operation. And what makes things even worse is, the general public is actually lapping up this mediocre drivel and proclaiming it to be extraordinary! Let me give you a few examples of what I’m talking about:

Note: This is purely my personal opinion and no offence meant to anyone. In case I do unintentionally offend anyone, well….Tough luck!

1. Politics

People are actually still going gaga over the Obama administration? WTF? I mean he’s done a good job with most of the issues (way better than Bush of course) but he still has a long way to go with delivering on his campaign promises! It would be sheer folly to think he can turn things around overnight, but I’m sure he could do much better than he’s currently doing!
Closer to home, what has the UPA government really done to deserve a second term? Of course I do believe we’re better off when compared to having any other party in power…but to win the elections in such a convincing manner? Clearly the public need to ask more questions!

2. Movies

Okay this may offend more people than the other categories, but I’m still going ahead with it. Avatar is the highest grossing movies of all time? Really?? The 3D effects and the cinematography were out of the world! But what about the wafer-thin storyline that’s been done to death? It has been the plot of a million Indian movies! For it to be nominated for the Best Picture Oscar is just crazy!
The highest grossing Indian movie of all time? 3 Idiots? Really now? The movie was ‘a good movie’ at best! Almost the entire storyline is borrowed from Munnabhai! Think about it! Hero comes to campus and spreads cheer, hero has his own methods of doing things, hero is not who he says he is, principal hates hero (played by the same actor even!), principal’s daughter loves hero, hero’s friend tries to commit suicide, principal eventually realizes hero rocks! WHERE IS THE FRESHNESS??

3. Music

Someone please tell me that TIME magazine didn’t really rate Lady Gaga as the most influential person of the year! Her songs are catchy at best and in no way should they be topping the charts! She’s just a publicity stunt that someone thought of. To compare her to Madonna already is insane!
Of course I have to mention the ‘Put a ring on it’ song by Beyoncé! Who in their right mind decided to put that irritating squeaky sound in the background? And to top it all, the song went on to become a smash hit! Woe is me!

4. Sport

I might just be one of Tendulkar’s biggest fans ever, but even I think the media went overboard with their praise for his 200. Agreed, it is the first time it was done in the history of ODIs and it was done by the greatest ODI batsman to have ever played the game. But this is Sachin Tendulkar we’re talking about! We knew of his greatness 10-15 years back. We didn’t need this one inning to show us that, did we? As brilliant as it was, it wasn’t even in his top 5 performances as far as I’m concerned!
As far as mediocrity being heralded in other sports is concerned, I have two words for you…Sania Mirza!

So that’s that! Now, let’s pull up our socks and get cracking on some really extraordinary work shall we?

No comments:

Post a Comment