Friday, August 22, 2008

A Simple Prayer

This morning I was taking my morning walk, my iPod set to random. I'm walking along, not thinking about much of anything, just paying attention to the grass and the trees when Help! by the Beatles started to play. This song has always had a strong hold on my psyche. When ever I am sad or confused I sing in my head:

Help me if you can, I'm feeling down
And I do appreciate you being 'round.
Help me get my feet back on the ground,
Won't you please, please help me?

Well I guess I needed to hear this song because it hit me that just one word, "help", is a very simple powerful prayer. And the song fills in the spaces on just why guidance is needed.

"And now my life has changed in oh so many ways,
My independence seems to vanish in the haze.
But every now and then I feel so insecure,
I know that I just need you like, I've never done before."

When John Lennon wrote this song, he wrote it because the Beatles needed a song called for their movie, Help! that was due to be released. He was focused on doing just that and it wasn't until years later that he realized that he was crying out for help. All the fame and fortune that came his way and he didn't know which way to turn. I don't know if he would have called his composistion a prayer but in simple reality that is exactly what it is. I know that I have been confused with what my higher self is whispering to me on a daily basis and I don't know which way to turn and there are times I get on my knees and just say "Help! I don't know why these things are happening. I've tried to control it but I'm not doing a very good job at it. Please take over and I'll trust my hopes and dreams will become manifest"

There are so many ways to pray, formal prayers, chanting, singing a hymn and just sitting down and having a conversation ( my favorite way) with the Divine. The majority of prayer is asking for assistance. The secret to knowing that our prayers are heard is to get quiet and listen to the answers we are getting from Source. Meditate. Sit still and listen. The answers aren't shouted at us by an angel holding a megaphone, although anything is possible. Guidance comes in feelings we get in our solar plexus or third chakra. "The path I'm on doesn't feel right to me." I think I need to send an email to this person and see if there's a way I can start going to school soon." "You know I'm really sorry for the way I acted am I'm afraid she will tell me off, but this prodding in my gut says that I need to make amends. I'm going to give her a call."

The Universe is willing to help us whenever we ask. We have to ask though and remember to sit still and listen to the guidance we receive.

I send you all love.

PS. Remember please, those souls who are important to you. Tell them you love them and if for some reason you can't, send them your love, they will somehow know. I send love to those I care about every day.








Help! by Lennon and McCartney and performed by the Beatles

No comments:

Post a Comment